Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hair Hair Hair and oh yea HAIR!




At the beginning of this year I started to embark on a very special journey.. my natural hair journey. Similar to other Afro-American women I began to research and realize how harmful perm (A.K.A the "creamy crack") is to African hair. I began to see the correlation of stunted hair growth and hair loss that run rampant in the African-American community with the usage of perm. Before I truly decided I wanted to go natural I had to completely asses that this was something I wanted to do, and I had to prepare myself for the possible negative perspectives *cough cough*  haters that I would encounter.

 Seeing my mom go through the process gave me the motivation and education on what to do. So finally after 4 months of transitioning right before my high school graduation( which is a very short time compared to most) I, did the big chop, in my bathroom, slowly cutting away the chemically processed hair. It was scary but I did it. I came to the realization that THIS is how God created me and that I could not base my ideas of beauty on this Euro-centric society. So I say all this to say this post is not so much focused on fashion but on the beauty of natural hair and to give a little encouragement to those thinking about going natural or currently natural but having wavering thoughts about how wonderful natural hair is!! I dedicate this one to my first natural hair role model, my mom.

Enjoy BlackSheeps!




Me 1 day after my big chop!























every black girl needs her!






































































No comments:

Post a Comment